Friday, April 24, 2020

Album Review: Chicago Crowd Surfer Round Up April

Chicago Crowd Surfer is loaded up with reviews for a bunch of albums that dropped this spring. I've contributed a handful of write-ups for Chicago-local releases that caught my eye. They're listed below with direct links for your convenience. Enjoy and stay safe out there!


Jackie Lynn - Jacqueline 

Hailey Fohr's alter ego is back in the saddle with a new album Jacqueline, it's a beautiful disco country odyssey that will leave you spellbound. Of all of the releases that I wrote about this week, this one made the biggest impact on me. Check out my review, here.

Get Jacqueline from Drag City, here.

Errant - Errant EP

Immortal Bird singer Rae Amitay dropped her solo project Errant's debut EP in April. On it she explores various venomous flavors of second-wave black metal, and offers us an absolutely arresting cover of Failure's "Saturday Savior." It's really amazing! Check out my review, here.

Get a copy of Errant EP, here (hurry there are only three vinyl copies left!)


Death on Fire - Ghost Songs

Melo-death do-badders Death of Fire is back with their second LP, Ghost Songs. The contents of the songs are more haunting than the music, which is just flat out ripps! Check out my review, here

Grab a copy of Ghost Songs, here


Chicago Blues Experiment - Jar of Dreams

Chicago has a long history as the epicenter of jazz and blues in the United States, and Chicago Blues Experiment draws on that legacy for their debut release, the light and sexy Jar of Dreams. These are heavy times, and it's nice to have something that swings a little to get me through the day. Check out my review, here

Grab a copy of Jar of Dreams, here