Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Album Review: Chicago Crowd Surfer Round Up - May & June

Chicago Crowd Surfer is running a handful of my reviews from earlier this spring. You can find links to each below. 


Helen Money - Atomic 

Helen Money is a treasure and Chicago is very lucky to have her call it her home. Epic and penetrating string arrangments and heavy metal atmosphere. You can check out my review of her latest album Atomic here, and grab a copy from Thrill Jockey here.  


Mako Sica & Hamid Drake - Balancing Tear

Local jazz-rockers Mako Sica have teamed up with the marvelous Hamid Drake for an incredibly evocative album that they have titled Balancing Tear. Check out my review here, and grab a copy of the album from Astral Spirits, here



L.T.F. - Rehabilitation Process

Chicago Research continues to release solid electronic dance music faster than I can realistically keep up. I'm not complaining, I'm just outing myself as having a job and responsibilities, and I can't listen to everything that I want to, to the extent that I want to, all the time. Oh well! Of the releases that I have been able to check out, L.T.F.'s Rehabilitation really jumped out at me. You can read my review here, and grab a copy from Chicago Research, here


The Hyss - Extraterrestrial

Chicago stoner /sludge rockers The Hyss have a new release and it's pretty fun. Kind of X-Files themed. Sort of a pulp-horror / Rob Zombie-cinematic universe vib going on as well. Check out the review here, and grab a copy here