Monday, January 4, 2021

CHIRP 2020 Invitational

I had so much fun writing a review/blitz/invitational/wrap-up for myself that I did one for CHIRP Radio's blog as well. This piece focuses on albums that I discovered through my work with the station this past year and didn't end up covering anywhere else. It's another flood of great albums to keep you humming through the first couple of weeks of 2021. They ran it as part of their "Best of" series which is both funny and accurate, even if I made no effort to rank or otherwise arbitrarily compartmentalize the records I wrote about. 

Check out my CHIRP 2020 Invitational here. 

Full list of artists/albums covered below (Artist / Album / Label): 

Omar Apollo / Apolonio / Warner Bros

Apollo Brown & Che’Noir / As God Intended / Mello Music Group

The Budos Band / Long in the Tooth / Daptone

The Nels Cline Singers / Share the Wealth / Blue Note

Johnny Iguana / Johnny Iguana's Chicago Spectacular! / Delmark

Kate NV / Room for the Moon / Rvng Intl.

L.F.T. / Foundation Chicago / Chicago Research

Master Boot Record / Virtuaverse.ost / Blood Music

No Joy / Motherhood / Joyful Noise

Songhoy Blues / Optimisme / Transgressive Records