Friday, April 8, 2022

Album Review: Melenas - Melenas


This is very likely the wrong opinion, but of the two full-length albums which Spain's rock quartet Melenas's have released, I definitely prefer their 2017 self-titled. I don't say this to put a spike in the tire of 2020's Dias Raros, because if it gets you where you need to go, than I think that's beautiful. I'm just stating my feelings for my own record. This is my blog, and it is a place where I give myself permission to ponder the mystery of my preferences.  

Melenas have pursued a kind of jangly garage rock, dipped in a warm dye of murmuring psychedelic chords- a blending of soft and jagged characteristics that has resulted in them successful carving out a handsome strip of territory in the international indie-rock circuit. This success is aided by their consistency as well. Melenas haven't deviated much from this formula since their inception, so why the hell am I so discriminating about their output? Well, small details matter to me... It's honestly a curse. I'd stop if I could. 

Anyway, this mental deficiency that drives me to want to write at length about things that could simply be enjoyed has caused me to plainly prefer the thin production, simple melodies, and clean outlines of their self-titled. I feel like they tried too hard to make a "rock" album with their second release by amping up the distortion and burying everything else under the guitars. It feels unnecessary because clean, uncomplicated structures are the band's real métier. This is what you get on their debut. 

Even though the production is, as I said before, a little airy on their self-titled, I feel like this actually helps bring out the strength of their songwriting. There is a lot of space to breathe and lean into the atmosphere and witness all the parts coming together. There is also a good deal of available spectrum not being filled, which means that not much is getting in between you and the band's rock-candy hooks and the hard roll of the percussion. It's just all there, in front of you, clear as sunshine on a cloudless afternoon. 

The contrast of these boldly defined guitar chords overlap in very satisfying ways and intersect with the swaying vocal cadence as a gorgeous, binding lace. It's lovely and I'm glad that nothing is interfering with the bold and honest way these songs are received. I feel like it takes a lot of pluck to present your music without serious embellishments and hope that an audience picks up on the natural charisma of your performance. And without a doubt, their pluck pays off on this record. Melenas's canny and dashing songwriting and playing style translate splendidly to an easily adored listening experience on their debut and it's why the album is still the gold standard of their catalog for me. 

 It's on Trouble In Mind.