Sunday, September 18, 2022

Album Review: Tama Gucci - Almost Blue


Every time I think I'm done with Tama Guchi's Almost Blue it pulls me back in as if to reassure me that I never should have left. Released last year, it features the Miami artist singing in breathy, alluring heaves in an affected gloss of passion while tumbling through firm but pliable pleats of hard techno beats. It's kind of like listening to Seal after he's come away from a studio session where he had to harmonize with Imogen Heap, and feeling newly inspired, took a limo to a club doing a '90s house night and commandeer the stage to demonstrate his familiar prowess in a new and evolved way. I like to think of myself as in the crowd on that hypothetical evening, completely caught like a leaf in the current of a river, entranced by his lovely voice, the beat coursing through my heart and down through my toes, losing myself to the music but gaining a new sense of freedom in return. I can return to that dance floor on that dreamy evening anytime I want, thanks to Almost Blue. Escape into a prism of ardor and adrenaline in an infinite moment of sonic bliss is only a click away.