Sunday, October 10, 2021

Album Review: Ninjas Mutantes Adolescentes - Emocion Explosiva

I don't cover a lot of melodic hardcore for the simple reason that it tends to sound to me like a lazier version of hardcore or a try-hard version of skate-punk. Chile's Ninjas Mutantes Adolescentes avoid both these allegations on their Emocion Explosiva EP, and other bands should take note- if you're going to give your hardcore some melody, you better give it all your heart as well. Ninjas Mutantes Adolescentes have that kind of classic punk brashness about them, that kind of headstrong rush of rebellious angst that can't be quelled by cynicism any more than you can put out a house fire with a damp pillowcase and a supper-soaker full of Kool-Aid. On Emocion Explosiva they're able to match DOA's nerve, Minor Threat's galling confidence, Gang Green's gut-punch of anxious and too-few-fucks-to-give thrash, and of course, the Adolescent's pop-inverting punk pounce. The messy and tinnie, slap-dash, and compressed recording quality definitely lends itself to the urgency of the record as well, and makes it all the easier to shout along with the "Oh-ho" gang-vocals of "Fuerza Patinante 5" and temps me to declare pogoing to "Puño Solitario" is damn near mandatory. All that said, the track that really hooks me, is the skittering, unruly clack and welt-faced bruiser Oi of "No Te Rindas." This whole album makes me want to take up skateboarding, which mind you, I have never done before, and is not recommended at my age. Still, Emocion Explosiva has got me feeling full of youthful vigor and I need to do something reckless with it! Maybe I'll just quit my job and roadie for a friend's band for a couple of weeks instead- that's at least less likely to do any long-term damage- physically, that is. I wonder if Ninjas Mutantes Adolescentes would approve. They're to blame, after all. 

Buy Emocion Explosiva here.