Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Interview: Kotic Couture

Photo courtesy of the artist. 

As summer nears, it's time to start putting together a playlist that grooves along with the warmer weather and longer days. There are many artists who would be happy to soundtrack your next cookout, but there is one in particular who I would like to bring your attention to at this moment, Kotic Couture. 

Kotic Couture grew up in Maryland’s Eastern Shore, but since embracing an inherent artistic drive, the young rapper has become an inseparable part of the Baltimore underground, thrilling with a buoyant flow, nostalgic beat selections, and a spectacular, gender non-conforming aesthetic. 

Kotic has a new record dropping via Babe City on June 24, called Late to the Party. Because I'm a lucky person, I've had a while to jam on it and I can confirm that it bops as hard as it vibes, balancing the braggadocious like the fiery "The Makings" with the heartfelt and vulnerable such exemplified by the mellowed out funk of "Wit Me." I'm pretty stoked for other people to be able to hear this album once it finally drops because it really is a lot of fun and will take you to some delightful places. 

To tide you over until Late to the Party's official release, you can check out this exclusive interview below.  

The following interview was conducted via email on May 5, 2022. It has been edited only slightly for the sake of clarity.

What is the vibe of your new album, Late to the Party?
To me it’s a candy bag of sounds, this project is the most reflective of me. I’m not one dimensional and neither is this project it’s (almost) everything that makes me up as a person. It’s something you can dance to a bit, ride to, and process your emotions with.

Who are the features on this album, how did you meet them, and how did they come to be on your record?
DJ AngelBaby did my Intro which was amazing because I met her when I was an intern at 92Q and years later I’ve made a name for myself and she’s been amazing to me this whole journey so it was only right to have her kick it off. 3SIDEGOOF is my only rap feature and he’s one of my favorites in the city. I'm honored that he agreed to be a part of this and he helped make “Wit Me'' one of my favorite songs. Chrissy J, Amorous Ebony, :3lON, and Wuhryn Dumas are so gifted in so many ways and I always wanted to be a singer so when I was looking for vocalists for any project I want people I love and respect to be a part of my art.

Who handled production for Late to the Party?
I did 4 of the tracks on the album, it was very important to me to have Baltimore heavily represented so I used all Baltimore producers including John Tyler, Josh Karbon, Drew Scott, Mateyo and GoodBoy.


What kind of conversations did you have with your producer(s) to make sure you got the sound right? 

Honestly the project was so all over the place so many times I just asked producers for a beat pack, and I picked what I wanted the album to sound like, I took what they gave me and build around that.


How did you begin rapping and how you did you develop the different styles of your flow? 
I used to have freestyle battles with kids on the bus ride home and then one of my brothers wanted to rap against me and I kept working cause I wanted to be better and I just never stopped. All of my favorites switch it up so much, Missy Elliott, Lefteye, early Kanye, Nicki Minaj they are all so versatile and I wanted to be in that company.

I get the sense that you have a bit of a theater background. How does your experience on stage as an actor impact your performance and presentation as a musician?
I did theater from a kid all the way up to high school, performing has always been a dream of mine. It's allowed me to be creative, so I have a voice and a space, when school ended I wanted to continue that through my music. Performing in any aspect is something that comes so natural to me and make me feel at home, so theater allowed me to create a character and performing as that character.

What era of hip hop do you feel most connected to, and why?
The 80’s and early 90’s speak to me so much, the level of the musicality, the fashion, the performances. There was as much skill as there was anything else and that still sticks out to me. Having a message and being a strong performer remind me that hip hop is a sport and I always want to be the best.

Among your many modes, you have both a solid snappy flow and a more melodious R'nB one. Why is it important to flex both your fierce and soft sides on this record? 
No one is one dimensional, I love to show the loud, brash, hectic, quick tongue version of myself. It's very much the attitude of hip hop. The R&B softer side is the person closest to who I am in reality but still as Kotic. To me that duality is important like yes, I’m loud and crazy but I’m also soft and loving. I want to give all of me whenever I can.

Self-affirmation is a big part of a lot of hip hop lyricism. How does this aspect of the form manifest on "The Makings" and why was it important for you to start the record off with this track? 
"The Makings" is reflective of when I first started rapping, emphasis on lyrics and punchlines, style and swagger. I came up in the mixtape era where the hook wasn’t the meat of the song it was the verses and what was being said whereas now, most people only care about the beat and the hook. I just wanted to show how and where I started.


Who are you inviting to ride with you on "Wit Me"?
The person who wants to have my heart haha, taking a ride with someone, talking and getting to know them there’s better way than with good music. It really sets the vibe and allows you to click.

Can you unpack the narrative of "83 Souf"? What does the song tell the listener about where you are from, and how does that story connect to where you are headed?
"83 Souf" is about growing up in the country and dreaming of the city. Dreaming of how you’re going to escape it and what you’re going to do once you get there. I think it speaks to anyone crazy enough to know exactly where they're going when nobody else can see it.
 
What part did you enjoy the most about making Late to the Party?
The growth, getting more comfortable with recording, writing and producing. I LOVE being in the studio, it’s my absolute favorite part of making music, I love the idea leaving my brain and coming into fruition.
 
What does your ideal party situation look like?
I’m actually quite boring and don’t party too much anymore haha, so a half and half and some snacks?

Are you often late to engagements in real life? If so, does this ever cause you problems?
I’m late 90% of the time for anything not involving music. My shows are the only time I’m ever on time haha

What is your recommended arrival time for a party? 10 minutes early? 10 minutes late? Arrive when the booze does?
If the party is 10-2, I’m arriving between 11:30 and 12:00 time for it to be poppin for me to greet everything then dance. I don’t drink so the booze don’t matter to me haha
 

We're heading into warmer weather across the USA, what are your top five summer jams for this year? 
Ohhh, I love this question, currently I’m loving...

Leikeli47- "LL Cool J"

Kehlani - "Wish I never"

Phony Ppl - "Why iii Love The Moon"

Chloe - "Treat Me"

SYD ft Kehlani - "Out Loud"

Is there anything you are particularly looking forward to following the release of Late to the Party?
I can’t wait to hear how people receive the record, I love hearing what the listener thinks. I also can’t wait to perform everything.