Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Interview: Oort Smog

 

On the invitation of Scott Osgood of AKP Recordings I had the opportunity to speak with Mark Kimbrell and Patrick Shiroishi of the weird, heavy, and enigmatic jazz project Oort Smog. We mostly discussed their latest album Every Motherfucker is Your Brother, but that gave us a good enough vantage point to examine their distinctive approaches and how they combine their talents to produce the project's unique sound. We also had a friendly disagreement about the band Yob, decided what genre Oort Smog really belongs in, and learned what a "primordial embryo" looks like. I honestly think the guys had more fun than I did. If I didn't know better, I'd think they were brothers. 

Listen to the Oort Smog interview: 

Check out Every Motherfucker is Your Brother: