Monday, April 10, 2023

Interview: Screaming Females

Image by Krista Schlueter

Screaming Females was probably my favorite band at one time. The first time I saw them at a house show in Wisconsin and they made such a powerful impression on me that I would go out of my way, braving all sorts of conditions, to see them again afterward. Driving on black ice-frosted road conditions in the dead of night, careening around mountain passes, forgoing meals to pay for gas, getting back from a venue hours away at 4 am when I had to be to work a mere three hours later- if they were playing near me, I was going to see them. My interests in music have evolved a lot since I first encountered this band, but I am still in awe of them in many ways, especially their relentless tenacity and willingness to do it themselves, as much as possible, nearly 20 years into their career. It was pretty cool to finally have the chance to talk with vocalist and guitarist Marissa and drummer Jarrett for CHIRP Radio about the band's latest album Desire Pathway, and all the things that came together to make it happen. I might be an irrepressible enthusiast, but I don't think the conversation came off as a "fan" interview by any stretch. I kept it together, is what I'm saying. You can listen to our conversation on CHIRP's site here, or below:  

Desire Pathway is out on Doni Govani Records. You can listen to it below: