Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Album Review: s4dunicorn - h4ppyunicorn


It's been a day so I'm unwinding with some breakbeat and jungle music, specifically s4dunicorn's h4ppyunicorn. I love this current moment in inground dance music when producers are reviving these sick '90s club sounds. Even if I never experienced them in an actual club, I appreciate them now maybe more than ever. I'm not ashamed to admit that my first exposure to many of the styles showcased on h4ppyunicorn was through the menu screens of Dreamcast and first-generation X-Box games. These bops and breaks really take me back and warm my heart with intensely nostalgic vibes. It helps in this regard that s4dunicorn is ripping up and remixing songs by artists from the early '00s who it was impossible to escape during my youth. There are no complaints on my end when it comes to making Missy Elliot sound even freakier than she usually does. In fact, I prefer it that way. I believe what s4dunicorn when they claim that the inspiration for this album is their steadily improving mental health. I believe it because it is doing the Lord's work for my overloaded brain. It is slapping all the tension out like a meat hammer to a slab of bison steak. I'm basking in these beats and rolling with whatever this album has got to offer. 

This is out via Vapor Scape Records