Friday, April 2, 2021

Album Reviews: Rorcal & Earthflesh - Witch Coven

Well fuck. If you read this blog, then you'll know that I listen to a lot of harsh, abrasive stuff, but just about everything else I have covered on this blog pales in its pure, unaesthetic quality when compared to the new collaboration between Rorcal & Earthflesh, titled Witch Coven

I'm familiar with Bruno of Earthflesh's work, and have written about it here, and interviewed him here. I know what his deal is and I like it. So when he wrote to say that he was working on a new album with his former bandmate Rorcal, and that it was meant to capture the true horror and pain of this past year, I thought to myself, "Ok, cool. That will be something to look forward to." And then I heard it... now, I feel like I need a break from music. 

It's hard to believe that threading Bruno's mind peeling, ear falaying, pulse with the eviscerating blackened doom metal of Rorcal would have amplified the most unrelenting qualities of both, but that it's exactly what Witch Coven does. This is an incredibly cruel listen. It is an expression of pain that can literally injury you (it did for me, my ears feel completely shot after listening to this thing). I don't know if I am recommending that people actually listen to this whole record or not, but I do think that it is important that it exists. If for no other reason, than to give an appropriate, physical presence to the pain that so many of us have experienced in the isolation caused by this pandemic. 

Seriously, listen to this record at your own discretion, but whether you spin it or not, offer these two artists your respect. They've earned it. 

You can buy on CD, cassette and vinyl via Hummus Records here.