Friday, May 7, 2021

Column: Bandcamp Friday Picks - May 2021

I wrote another list of recommendations for New Noise's site this week for Bandcamp Friday. The company has decided to extend the policy (or monthly holiday, as I guess you can call it now) of suspending their fees for all purchases made through the platform on the first Friday of each month, at least through the end of 2021. The fact that so many people wait to purchase music through them until they waive their fees each month is obvious pretty annoying to them from the grating tone of their recent press releases on the topic, but whatever, they're still willing to still do it! Putting business concerns aside, Bandcamp Fridays are just a great excuse to dive into a bunch of new releases and share info about them and your excitement for them with your friends. We don't have many opportunities to come together over our love of music anymore and the reality of our separation really does add to "holiday" like the celebratory feel of the event. Needless to say, I also really like doing these lists each month as well and I'm thankful for the excuse to continue the tradition. New Noise finally even made me a logo for the column. Ain't that snazzy? 

Check out my full list and what I had to say about each release over on New Noise here. 

This month I spotlighted:

Mia Joy – Spirit Tamer (Fire Talk)

Honshu-Wolves – Cosmic Creature Capture (Voodoo Rhythm Records)

Pinkshift – Saccharine (Self-Released)

S​.​U​.​G​.​A​.​R. – Self-Titled (Alien Snatch! Records)

Book of Wyrms – Occult New Age (Desert Records)

Mother Nature & BoatHouse – SZNZ (Closed Sessions)

Sophia Chablau e Uma Enorme Perda de Tempo – Selt-Titled (RISCO Records)

Spectral Lore – Ετερόφωτος (I, Voidhanger Records)

Plankton Wat – Future Times (Thrill Jockey)

Rata Negra – Una Vida Vulgar (La Vida Es Un Mus Discos)

That's all I had time to listen to and write about for this list. There are a lot of worthy releases that I didn't touch on. You can email me about them if you want. Or don't. I have plenty to listen to either way. See you next month!