Sunday, June 11, 2023

Album Review: Big Hug - Don't Threaten Me With A Good Time

You can threaten me with a good time any day. I'm always tempted to play hooky. I rarely give in to such temptations, but they swirl around me endlessly- like sharks in a tidepool. Sometimes I wish one of those big gray suckers would get the nerve up to take a piece out of me and initiate a wacky misadventure to retrieve my missing forearm, liver, etc... Anything to give me an excuse to put some of the life I've built on pause while I grapple with a bloody exigency- I'm not necessarily asking to be sent on a recon mission to reclaim a purloined pound of flesh per se, but any interruption to add a slice of unusual topography to my current milieu would be welcome. In lieu of basking in a fire that uses splinters and fragments of my life as fuel, I can always bathe in the light of another's pissed-up glow. The easy-flowing confessions of Big Hug's Don't Threaten Me With A Good Time are more than a suitable source of such warmth and excitement in my opinion. They have a fast and very focused style that favors sharp chord changes that alternate between fickle, lapping riffs that trace the vicissitude of life and longing and break-through rushes of eager quicksilver which concentrate the wedge of each track like the point of a rail spike driving through sandstone. Big riffs, huge vocal hooks, and a genuine forward-yielding tilt that grasps for the highest of highs but settles for a stumble into a soft and abiding cache of even larger feels makes for an exceptional debut EP from this amply able trio of rockers.