Wednesday, June 28, 2023

Interview: Superdestroyer

I've been a huge fan of Superdestroyer's work since he pitched his first LP to me back in 2021, completely out of the blue. I really had no idea what to expect from his Such Joy album, but it ended up thoroughly blowing me out of the water (you can read my review here). Fast forward to last year and I'm comparing his album Goon to Husker Du's Zen Arcade! A bit of effusive? Sure. But hell, he's earned it! I am entirely indiscreet about how much I enjoy his work and the output of his label Lonely Ghost, and when I heard that he had a new album coming out this year, I lept on the chance to have him on my podcast to discuss it. Superdestroyer's next release SoakedInSynth.zip drops later this week (the 30th to be exact) and sees the enigmatic electro-emo wunderkind confronting one of his oldest and most dastardly foes, the Cartoondemon! A fiend that has lurched in the background of many of Superdestoryer's past releases, but has never dared to show his face... until now! Will Superdestroyer prevail over his adversary, or is his ship destined to sink in a sea of woe?!? You'll have to check out the record to find out. Of course, if you're curious about spoilers (and why wouldn't you be?) you can check out our convo below: