Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Album Review: Kmaiuscola - Che colpa abbiamo noi

I'm choosing to write about this group's music because there is so little available information about them... at least in English. They could have reached a saturation point in the media of another language. If that is the case, I'm not aware of it. I'm often seized by the urge to step outside my relative experience and lean into a faithful step into the unknown... even if said step produces a plunge with a faceplant at the bottom. It's just how I do. Writing for myself has its advantages and its hazards- both of which boil down to the fact that no one can talk sense to me and hope to win. The pitch that I'm winding you up for is that you should listen to Kmaiuscola, specifically their EP Che colpa abbiamo noi. I can't provide much more context than that because none is available to me. All I have is this recommendation: Listen to Kmaiuscola, specifically their EP Che colpa abbiamo noi. Near as I can tell, Kmaiuscola is an Italian rap group with a penchant for portraying themselves as primates. This vulgar visual vanity offers some amusement, as well as a hint to the cheeky nature of the group's combined flow which comes across as very casual and playful. It also invites obvious (and hopefully flattering) comparisons to the Gorillaz's baselayer of atmospheric drum 'n bass. Generally, though, Che colpa abbiamo noi is made up of simple tracks without much pretense or studio pomp. The group sounds good, qualitywise, and even expensive at times, but tracks like "Chi fa da sè" and "Gambe corte" are shockingly unadorned- the beats of the foremost are comprised of little more than bird call-like whistles, a minimal xylophone riff, and some acapella bass lines, while the later strips the surrounding sounds to little more than supplemental bass slaps and a distinctly sharp, ping-ponging ripple of treble. The lack of distraction would really help me focus on the group's rhymes... if I understood more than four syllables of Italian. As it is, I'm having to draft off the aesthetics and energy of their flow, which is pretty effortless, as these guys have a lot of personality and an easy sense of timing, which translates as entirely copacetic despite the language barrier. Again, I don't have much else to offer here other than my recommendation of something that I happened to enjoy, which is Kmaiuscola, specifically their EP Che colpa abbiamo noi. As corny as it is, I even got into their dub throwback "Worldjam," which makes liberal, (almost noxious ample) use of air horns to accent a terribly straightforward, but genuinely agreeable, summer party jam about the importance of having music in your life (sung mostly in English). Such innocent and earnest vignettes are balanced out by more darkly sharded numbers like the brooding shadow bounce and midnight trotline of "Mai il sole" and the tense, bent rail skirt and suppressor beat exchange of "R.O.Y." on the back end of the album. When you run out of words to describe your responses, all you can do is offer someone the chance to experience the thing you've been expounding upon for themselves. There is an ocean of understanding that separates me from Kmaiuscola, and I actually don't know what their deal is beyond a surface-level impression. All I can say is that I recommend spending some time with them, even if you have to crawl into the same cultural/linguistic liferaft I did. It didn't sink for me, and I can only hope that it will float for you as well. If not, I'll be the first to through you a life preserver. Beyond that, all I can ask is that you take this next step with me, in anticipation that there will be solid ground below our feet and that we haven't just marched ourselves off the end of a pier that is too short for our stride. Thus, I leave you with my final and ultimate appeal; stop monkeying around and listen to Kmaiuscola, specifically their EP Che colpa abbiamo noi