Thursday, June 3, 2021

Interview: Chai

Photo from Chai

Chai are really genuine people. Or at least they do an excellent job of coming off that way. I know kawaii acts have pretty tightly controlled public personas, so it's hard to parse fact from fiction when talking to them. However, Chai's persona is all about relatability. Which they definitely are. I was able to talk with the band for New Noise and I feel like I got some real insights into their motivations and influences behind their new album WINK. It's interesting to me how even these very straightforward, and likely true, answers were still filtered through the personas that they've cultivated. This is however every interview goes though. This is true for metal bands as much as it is for emo bands, and pop and jazz bands as well. Even genuine responses are curated and massaged to fit the conversation and the perceived audience. It's just a little bit more obvious with this interview given my (admittedly, limited) knowledge of the music in Japan. These are just random thoughts that don't actually impact the substance of the interview transcript. I'm really excited to share this interview. I thought it was fun to do and I hope you'll enjoy reading it. 

Interview with Chai. 

Buy Chai's WINK here.